Wine lovers are increasingly following their passion on vacation with more visitors to wine regions, which now boast top hotels, restaurants and tours.
TripAdvisor, an online travel community, has come up with a list of 10 top wine destinations in the world, according to its editors and traveller popularity.
1. Geaux Bordeaux: Bordeaux, France: Perhaps the world’s most famous wine destination, the Bordeaux region of France has long been renowned for its vineyards producing everything from delicious table wines to the most expensive bottles in the world.
2. Golden Grapes: Napa Valley, Calif: Napa Valley is synonymous with superb wine and striking scenery, both of which draw millions of wine lovers to the region each year.
3. Keen on Chianti: Tuscany, ItalY: Famed for its reds like Chianti and Montalcino, the Tuscany region of Italy is a delight for the senses.
4. A Bit of the Bubbly: Champagne-Ardenne, France: Neatly-tended vineyards amongst a picturesque natural landscape, rich history, and unique culture make this region vibrant.
5. Raising the Barossa: Barossa Valley, Australia: This scenic region in southern Australia is highly regarded for its Shiraz and its other robust varieties of red wine.
6. Spanish Inbibation: La Rioja, Spain: Most recognized for its outstanding reds, the region’s wines are particularly distinctive because of oak ageing and delicious vanilla flavours.
7. To the Moon: Sonoma Valley, Calif: The Valley features amazing vineyards as well as beautiful scenery and towns.
8. Grand Central: Valle Central, Chile: Just outside the Chilean capital of Santiago, the gorgeous Valle Central set among the Andes Mountains and Pacific Ocean is internationally acclaimed.
9. Great Escape: Stellenbosch, South Africa: Home to one of South Africa’s most visited wine routes, Stellenbosch is the heart of the Cape Winelands region.
10. Blanc Stare: Marlborough, New Zealand: Located on the southern island of New Zealand, Marlborough is widely regarded as the country’s birthplace of winemaking. The region is best known for its delectable Sauvignon Blancs.