Once again weekend comes around, a time to unwind and spend quality time with loved ones. Today Douglas Green shares with you an all-time favourite recipe that has long been the traditional South African family get-together meal: Leg of lamb!
Remember to get:
*1 Lemon (remove the zest with a peeler/ grater and juice lemon)
*6 cloves of garlic
*1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons of olive oil
*1 2.5-3kg leg of lamb (including the bone)
*1.4 kg small carrots (washed)
*2 cups of fresh, flat-leaf parsley
*1 cup fresh mint leaves
*6 onions chopped
*2 teaspoons honey
Combine the following:
1) Preheat oven to 200˚C.
2) Pulse the lemon zest, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until course in a food processor/ blender.
3) Place the lamb in a large roasting pan and rub in the lemon mixture.
4) Toss the carrots, 1 tablespoon of oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
5) Put the lamb in the oven and after 50 minutes of cooking add the carrots to the pan.
6) Roast the lamb to your desired doneness. (About 90 to 150 minutes if you’re looking for medium done.)
7) Transfer the lamb to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before you slice it.
8) While the lamb rests, puree the parsley, mint, onions, honey, lemon juice, remaining ½ cup olive oil. ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a food processor/blender. This is a beautiful sauce that you can now serve with your deliciously cooked roast leg of lamb and carrots!
Douglas Green recommends your favourite glass of red with this dish as the deep flavours pair well with the textures of the lamb!