This starter is perfectly suited to roasts such as roast beef or lamb! Enjoy with a bottle of Douglas Green red and you can not go wrong!
2 medium butternuts
2 medium onions
50g butter/margarine, whichever you prefer
7 ml medium curry powder
40 g cake flour
A pinch of ground nutmeg
2 chicken stock cubes
750 ml boiling water
500 ml milk
7 ml salt
Combine the following:
1) Peel, seed and dice the butternut.
2) Peel, core and chop the apple up.
3) Peel the onions and chop them up roughly. In a large pan sauté the onions in the butter. Now add the curry powder and gently fry the mixture.
4) Add the butternut and apple and cook with the mixture for a while before adding the flour, nutmeg and fry all together lightly.
5) Add the chicken stock cubes to the boiling water and then add this as well as the milk and salt to the butternut mixture.
6) Boil over a moderate heat with the lid on until the butternut is soft. Stir occasionally and then proceed to blend or puree until smooth. The colour should be a deep yellow with a creamy texture.
Serve the soup hot with a French loaf as a lovely starter!